Monday, September 04, 2006

Prentis Park, Vermillion, South Dakota


Hello my fellow disc golfing friends. This is the much-awaited, hot off the presses Prentis Park post. I traveled to the bluffs of Vermillion to see my in-laws, which is always fun, for they are some lovely people. I intended to find the Prentis Park course and play it, and I ended up taking my father-in-law along to expose him to the wonder that is disc golf. He played a few holes with me and had a great time. (I think he will brave Sertoma with me sometime in the near future...) Somewhere below is a pic of his mad forehand skills which, for someone foreign to the sport, I was quite impressed with it.
For those of you dying to know about Prentis Park: It is a great course, and a welcome change of pace from the wilderness of Mt. Sertoma. It is completely flat...no hills, no mountain, no throws affected by differing topography. It is a city park, and they take great care of it as it is in the middle of town. It has ten holes, most of which are significantly shorter (9 of the 10 holes are 300 ft. or shorter). It is a great place to work on accuracy, as there are many trees in the middle of the fairway with overhanging branches...and your score will suffer if you cannot control your drives. Probably the most fun thing about this course, however, is your score. I scored a 32 on this course on ten holes...a great score and a huge boost for my confidence.
A note about technique: Below I have a bunch of pictures of my drive. I have changed my form quite dramatically in the last couple rounds, and I think it is really helping my game, giving me some more distance and better accuracy (when I am under control) than my previous form. Much thanks to Diggs...I was watching him last time we played and I noticed a significant difference in his run-up and I am trying to adapt it to my own game. I coupled that with something I have noticed from all of the pictures and video of anyone who's good. On their release, their back foot is always up wicked high in the air and they all look goofy, as if they are going to fall on their face. By pulling my body through "the whip", focusing on throwing all of my weight forward, I think I am acomplishing this goofy position. It really seems to working, although I really need to practice a lot more to get better control of the disc. Please look at the pictures and feel free to comment on my form, giving advice and/or making fun of my amendments to my form...thanks bros and happy discing...

P.S. Having trouble posting the pics...I will try to repost just the pics...






1 comment:

Diggs said...

Indeed, the best way to tell if your form is doing well is to judge its goofiness factor. The more incontinent you look when throwing, the better.