Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Top 5 Innova Discs Perscribed by Urbwes

First of all, my Highbridge post is forthcoming. It will be filled with musings about the amazing experience and the lessons I have learned. I'm excited to post but I thought I would follow the "top innova" thread first. (That being said, I recently started concentrating on my footwork only and not reaching back quite so far and my distance has already shown a marked improvement. The motion feels more fluid and has more snap behind it. I'm excited to test my distance threshold in a field once the Marshall winds stop knocking baskets over!)

Back to the post at hand....

My game started almost purely innova (with a slight blemish called the DC Rattler which shall be forevermore forgotten). I've been slowly moving more DC heavy, but I still cling to certain "favorites". My top five is populated either by discs still in the bag or ones that have only been usurped for reasons I will disclose in good time. So, without further delay, my top five innova discs.

5. DX Roc
I must put the DX Roc on my list for one reason: I have had the most runs at the basket with this disc. I've made my longest "putt" with a white DX Roc (now a "hand me up" to my dad).
Back in the 'ol SC days I had a Blue 174g Roc that was the best touch disc I have ever thrown. It would glide with ease and almost always land under the basket. Alas, my putting game was horrendous, in part, becuase I never had to putt! The only caveat I have is the wide range of exerpiences I have had with the DX Roc; my first was a dream, the second a Red tinted nightmare, and the third took a long period of breaking in before becoming the "touch" disc I know and love.

4. DX Beast
I have a DX beast in my bag that I use for one purpose: Long anhyzers. I took the stamp off with acetone for fun so it looks really sleek. I love this disc since I've basically lost my forehand release in that last few years. If I release it on a slight anhyzer at low speeds it will hold the line all the way to the ground, and If I really snap it flat it will blast out of sight to the right (I'm RHBH). It used to be my "water disc", but now I don't know what I would do without one in my bag.

3. Champ Wraith
This disc is my new "go-to" driver. It's taken a short period of breaking in, but I can manage a long, smooth S-curve with this disc. Perhaps the best reason to promote the Champ Wraith is the fact that I was one errant throw away from "parring" the longest hole in the world! The only disc in my bag that goes farther is my DC Z Nuke, but I'm not ready to cede "go-to" status. The wraith, for me, is easier to control and has a comfortable rim (not a big fan of those fat rims on heavy duty drivers). I have a fairly weak arm at this point so I don't need an uber-high speed disc to gain my max-d. I would also have to give a +1 to Diggs DX Wraith, but with one complaint. I had one that flew amazingly, but after only a half-season it started turning over way too much. I couldn't get the thing to come back. The champ plastic doesn't present quite as wide a turn as the DX, but I'll sacrifice it for durability.

On a side note, my friend Kyle from way up north was starting to break 300' in his second season of discin' last year and hit a new high of around 340' with his purple Champ wraith (called the "Grapes of Wraith"). I Heartily endorse this disc!

2. DX Wolf
Just like Diggs, this is a long running disc in my bag (though not as old as his Orange one). Currently I only carry two types of midranges (Z Buzzz for Hyzer, X Buzzz for straight, and DX wolf for anhyzer). I would say it acts much like my DX Beast, but on the mid-range scale. This thing also floats out of sight! At my home course we designed a hole under a low lying canopy of trees that border both sides of a narrow alley of grass (think the Blue Ribbon signature hole). I find I can simply release the Wolf flat slightly to the left and it will follow a slow line to the right edge of the fairway where the basket is found. An awesome "touch" disc.

1. Champ Tee-Bird
Those of you who went to Hybridge will attest to this. I rely heavily on my "fire engine red" Tee-Bird. There is no better disc in my bag when I need to place a disc in just the right spot down the fareway. As long as I'm on my game releasing well and aiming, this disc just finds the fareway. I recetly bought a TL in my effort to reduce the different molds I carry (it's a straighter Teebird for those that don't know) and I like it as well. It basically acts like my well-used Tee-bird right out of the box. Everyone should have a Tee-bird in their bag.

Other noteworthy Innova plastic in my bag:

Champ Destroyer: Thumbers and the occasional forehand shot for my weaker arm

Champ Sidewinder: Used to swear by this disc but I'm just geeting used to it again after suffering at the hand of the nauseatingly different Star Sidewinder (they aren't even close!)

In response to some of the other posts (IMHO):

The skeeter is a waste of time: is it a putter or a mid? it can't decide and does both poorly.

The Rhyno was my *cough* first putter and I loved it until I met the aviar which I loved until I met the DC Banger...

The Stingray: I saw J "The Muscles" Chaffin go from promising disc player to habitual disc "burner" with the Stingray. No dice with this disc

The Champ Spider is one of my greatest disc golf regrets. I've seen that disc do amazing things in the hands of Mid Range King and Diggs. I've just never gotten around to throwing one myself

The Aviar: I pulled mine out yesterday for putting practice and I was sinking more gimme range putts with it that my GT Banger. It might make a resurgence...

Urbwes

No comments: