Monday, November 20, 2006

The Electric Fetus, Amos Lee, & Will Farrell

If my life were a guitar string, then Saturday morning began out of tune... I think it was a B flat but I can't be sure. I woke up not feeling the greatest. It was at this point I reasoned that Iowa was not going to beat Minnesota in the last football game of the season... a game I was supposed to go to. So instead of watching the depressing game, I decided to plow some of season 3 Arrested Development (thanks Wes). Out of tune guitar strings are painful to my ears.

But like any out-of-tune guitar string, one needs only to tune it for the pain to go away. This tuning, for me, came in the form of a phone call from my former roommate, Will, who brought exciting news. You see, for the past month or so, I had been aware of a concert involving one of my favorite artists, Amos Lee. The bummer with his coming was that the concert had already sold out by the time I was aware of it. The upside of it was that he was also going to be playing a short set at a local record store, the Electric Fetus (not just a cleaver headline). And the best part is that the event was not widely publicized, effectively limiting the number of attendees, not to mention the thing being free! O Glory be, I got to see Amos for free!


I've been to a number of concerts in my days. It was simply what I did as a younger man. And I have to say that few things top an intimate performance such as the one I experienced on Saturday. A well produced show may effectively mask the iniquities of a performance; not so when simply a man and guitar. One is able to experience the flaws of live performance, yes. However, one is also able to hear the songs as the artist hears them and plays them and probably wrote them.

Not to mention that I was close enough to get a sweet background for my phone.

From there, we ended up going to the new Will Farrell movie, Stranger than Fiction. Not a bad movie. Had its moments. Check it out if you got the coin.

"You sent me singin' through the woods",

~Diggs

Song of the Week: "Colors" by Amos Lee ...come on, you knew it was coming.

No comments: