Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Throwin' in Mormon Country

The last week of May, the wife and I had the opportunity to go on vacation with her family.  Destination: Utah.  We flew into SLC before taking off for Moab, a touristy town to the southwest toward the Colorado boarder.  The area is renowned for the outdoor opportunities and beautiful vistas.  You can see the Moab area in movies such as Rio Grande, Forest Gump, and even Galaxy Quest.  We spent the week biking, hiking and rafting.  I even finagled a round of disc out of the trip.

The party consisted of my father-in-law, sister-in-law, and BroLo El Cunado who joined us for the disc weekend last year.  Packing limitations precluded bringing the full bag.  Knowing the folks I'd be playing with I stuck with putters and midrange discs.  To my chagrin, I neglected to pack even a fairway driver.  To double the chagrin, I realized that the fear of losing a vital disc from the arsenal caused me to pack discs that are not familiar in the slightest.  The only one I had thrown more than twice in the past year was an Aviar I have used for putt practice!  At least El Cunado remembered to bring some drivers.

And I was apprehensive about losing a disc.  Having scouted out the course ahead of time, I noticed remarkable differences between Old City DGC and those courses with which I have experience.  I have played courses in the midwest, northeast and the dirty south, and all of them had a remarkable similarity between them.  Grass in the open, deciduous and pine trees in closed places.  The occasional bush or prairie grass patch for good measure to keep you honest.

This course was in the desert.  Not having been in many deserts before, the vegetation was completely foreign to me.  Instead of grass, the ground was primarily sandy with tufts of brush to help conceal your landing zone.  Trees, while sparse, still helped frame your lines.  But the biggest difference was in the bushes.  Most clumps were thorny and impassible.  This exaggerated the punishment for inaccurate shots.

All told, though, the course was very manageable.  With the KC Pro Roc I had just picked up at the Acorn Open, I was nearly par for the course (though I do admit that I lost El Cunado's Glo Nuke... sorry man, I'll make it up to you).  While perhaps not the most challenging of courses, I would be hard-pressed to think of many better landscapes in which to play.  The course was fairly well maintained, and the mountains in the background framed a wonderful afternoon of disc.

And now we can add another state to the list of those traversed by the Cold Lampin' Collective.

~Diggs

No comments: