Thursday, April 14, 2011

Surprising Days

Ever have those rounds that just come out of nowhere? The type of round that reminds you of why you enjoy the game, erasing memory of all those throws that make you wish you played another sport. I had one of those this Tuesday.

It really was shaping up to be a bit of a downer. My usual partner had just informed me that he wouldn't be able to join me at our standing Tuesday tee time. Still at home, I milled around for awhile until I decided that while it was too late for a full round, I could at least get in some putt practice or some driving. I was even going to stop by the local field to throw since it was the first windless day in recent memory. Instead, kids were still playing baseball, denying me access to the field. Bummer. I continued on towards the course where I find the conditions perfect... except all the other people who thought the same thing. Even the practice putting area was full. Literally, a dozen people! Double bummer.

Well, I had come all the way out there, I might as well play a few holes. Approaching the first tee, I see that it was indeed late in starting a round. So late that while the course was absolutely packed, only one group stood ahead of me. As I waited for them to clear out, another group came up to the waiting area. Figuring I might as well not play alone, I asked to join them. I figured that since one of them had a Hawkeyes shirt on, I was probably in good company.

One thing I really enjoy about our sport is its capacity to allow you to meet new and interesting people (someday I'll have to tell you about Ron... but he wouldn't like that). These guys were decent. They were on their second round of the day, and at least one was on his second six-pack. Coming over from Council Bluffs, they were going to make the most of their time in Omaha. They played well. But it was just fun to be in their company. I enjoyed my round quite a bit.

It also didn't hurt that I put together my first decent round of the year. Though I wasn't converting my birdie shots, I was the epitome of consistency. I forget who it was, but there was a fullback about whom it was said, "If you needed two yards, he'd get you three; If you needed four yards, he'd get you three." That was my day. I had good drives, good approaches, and I didn't even really need to putt all that much. Aside from one brick on my birdie try at hole 6, all my other putts were misses from outside the 10m mark and generally on line. In all, while I still haven't been able to convert my birdies, I made par on everything. Not spectacular, but when you're still shaking off the cobwebs and adjusting your throw, I was very satisfied that throws were going where I wanted them to go. Oh sweet bliss!

All in all, I had a great day on the course! I hope ya'lls seasons are going well. I hope to see you soon. Keep on rockin' in a free world.


~Diggs

postscript. I was able to get a slice of Cunningham Lake DGC, and I shall have a review up at some point.

second postscript. I also haven't forgotten about the tourney schedule, but that'll have to wait at least a week. Sorry. If you see something in Iowa (Des Moines area) you could make, let me know. Maybe we could hit it up together!

No comments: