Tuesday, June 25, 2013

2013: A Disc Odyssey

This summer represents a pretty major change for me and my family.  I will be moving across the country in August to the east coast.  I'll be driving solo in my trusty Chevy Impala that may, in fact, eclipse a quarter million miles on the trip.  Now this isn't the first long trip I've made.  A number of years ago, I moved to Charlotte (in the same Impala, no less!).  The problem with long trips... they are long.  And they are boring.  They are long and boring.  And I needed to figure out a way to make the entire experience more palatable.  Enter map.  Here's what we're looking at:


View Larger Map

I know what you're thinking.

"Wow Diggs, that's a long way to drive.  What are all those little markers?"

So glad you asked!

Those are points spaced out on my proposed driving route.  Each one represents a course I (tentatively) plan on playing on the way out, picking up most states I will be traveling through.  I chose large cities in my path spaced out fairly evenly.  Then, looking at local options, chose some of the better regarded courses in the area.  Here is the list:

  1. Sertoma Park (Sioux City, IA): Former Cold Lamp Headquarters, this was the beginning of my disc golf experiences.  Seemed fitting to make it the beginning of this disc golf journey
  2. Camden Park II (Milan, IL): A course in Davenport looked more interesting, but this one also looked promising and is located in a state in which I have yet to play.  No better reason, really.
  3. Mohawk DGC/Boondock Farms (~Indianapolis, IN): Mohawk looked really interested, but it was described as a private course available only on special occasions.  What does that mean?  I don't know.  But Boondock is a more than suitable substitute from what I have seen.  It will also add an Indiana course.
  4. Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC (Columbus, OH): The Memorial is the site of one of the largest and well-respected tourneys of the year and a National Tour stop.  Having yet to play a course used in the NT aside from a couple WC courses, I am excited to give it a go!
  5. Moraine State Park (Portersville, PA): I hear Pittsburgh is a fairly decent place to play some disc.  Moraine is described as a championship level course.  Hopefully I have enough time to fit in all these quality courses!
  6. Mercer County Park (West Windsor Township, NJ): This will be in the neighborhood of my new home.  Might as well see what the locals are up to, eh?
 All stops will depend on how the drive is going and whether or not I have the time to spare, but I should be able to manipulate the drive to include most if not all.

Of course, if my wife joins me on the trip, I'm going to say all plans are off (though I might be able to finagle the Memorial!).  Anyway, wish me luck and Godspeed.  I will be embarking on a new adventure.  One thing is for certain (as concerns this blog), disc golf will continue to be a part of it!

Auf Wiedersehen!

~Diggs

No comments: