Friday, March 08, 2013

2012 Disc Golf Season Personal Reflection Part 2

After spending most of last Saturday afternoon watching the conclusion of The Memorial Championship on the internet, I was motivated to complete a post that was meant to drop last Friday. For the second part of my reflection of 2012 I want to focus on the courses I was able to play this year.

 Last I checked I totaled out playing 13 courses. Compare that with previous years 2009 - 9, 2010 - 6, and 2011 - 12. Thirteen courses when I look back at it now seems crazy considering I now have lived in an area where to go to a decent course with at least 18 baskets I have to travel over an hour one way. Now of those 13 courses I played last year 8 of them were courses I have never played before. Details after the jump.


 The new courses I have added to my new courses played list are the Doane College DGC, Lagoon Park DGC, Lions Park I, Robbins Island DGC, and Slumberland DGC, Lincoln Park - North, Lincoln Park - South, and Douglas Park .

Here is my complete list of which courses I played and how many total rounds I kept score...you mid-westerners know that if you don't play all winter you need a few "spring training" rounds in you before you feel confident and ready to keep score...usually by May I am dialed in and keeping score.

Acorn DGC - Roseville, MN - 4
Blue Ribbon Pines - East Bethel, MN - 2
Bryant Lake DGC - Eden Prairie, MN - 1
*Doane College - Crete, NE - 2
*Douglas Park - Springfield, IL - 1
Hyland Ski & Snowboard DGC - Bloomington, MN - 1
*Lagoon Park DGC - Montevideo, MN - 9
*Lincoln Park - North - Springfield, IL -1
*Lincoln Park - South - Springfield, IL - 1
*Lions Park I - Shakopee, MN - 1
*Robbins Island DGC - Willmar, MN - 5
*Slumberland DGC - Watertown, SD - 1
SMSU DGC - Marshall, MN - 4
* = New Courses Played

So if my math serves me correct I count 33 total rounds. I wish the number was higher but I was busy most of the summer with baseball and various other endeavors so 33 is a good number to have. I can only hope to improve upon that this coming year.

 That being said, I absolutely enjoyed my time spent on the course this summer. I learned a lot about my game both the mental and physical aspect of it.  I learned that if I don't practice or at least play regularly...I get rusty pretty bad. Lucky for me I have a practice basket so my putting didn't completely leave me. But my distance and accuracy was hit or miss all season. I didn't matter the course or time of year. My short game greatly improved due to the fact that most of the courses around me are mid-range drives and putts to finish them off...not too many true par fours.

  I also hope to get  a few course reviews out on the various courses that I will play this summer so look forward to seeing reviews of Lagoon Park, Robbins Island, and the new Granite Falls rec course that just went in the ground in November.

No comments: