Friday, April 27, 2012

"Sabermetrics": A Look at Acorn Park



Alright I know the title says it all boring numbers and somehow relating it to disc golf. Are you kidding me! I can hear it now. I feel that it is the perfect time to pull out such numbers as it is the beginning of baseball season and well you know the movie “Moneyball” starring yours truly Mr. Pit made the Sabermetrics somewhat famous.

I however, also have drawn a little inspiration for this article from a recent post on a neighboring disc golf blog where such a topic has been voiced take a look at it here (after you finish reading my take.) As most of you know Diggs and I are playing in a few tournaments this summer and our next adventure takes us to a course we are all too familiar with. Dare I say we “cut our teeth on” this course. It was at one point considered our “home course.” Well that weekend I’m sure this will be a lot of peoples home course. Anyway I decided to take a look at my stats at Acorn Park in Roseville, Minnesota over the past few seasons. It’s hard to believe that I have stats at this course going back over five years now.



In sabermetrics it’s all about looking at the numbers and seeing what kinds of trends you can spot. I’m gonna keep it simple cause I over think lots of things as it is. Here is a look at my birdies, pars, bogeys, d. bogeys, and ttt. bogeys I carded over my last three years. In total about 20 rounds.




Here is what I have picked out based on what I am seeing right in front of me. I prefer the sandwich method when looking at information.

Par seems to be my norm on most holes particularly on the front nine. On average I am par-ing every hole (except 9.) Most of those holes I would say play to my strengths a bit. Shorter more technical holes. Good drive, solid approach, and finish with the putt for par. Back nine is usually what makes or breaks my round. Bad kick off a tree usually what does it.  Looking at the numbers my par/bogey ratio drops from 8/9 holes par or better to 7/9 which may not seem too bad but it’s the difference from finishing a round at +4 vs +6.

The numbers also spoke something to me that I already knew but it was a good reminder. Hole nine is a hole at acorn where you finally get a chance to “air it out” and I feel that may have an impact on how I have been playing it over the last few years. Diggs, URBWes and I tend to judge ourselves on this hole by how far can we throw it past the big rock in the middle of the fairway. But in trying to do that I have found myself getting stuck behind the shrubs and trees on the right side of the fairway. Which doesn’t help on the second shot.

The smarter play for me might just be to let up on the drive a bit or use something a little more overstable and have it settle past the pond but to the left of the rock. Giving me a better window to throw at for my second shot at a chance to put it close to the pin. Not saying it’s going to work but I’m willing to give it a try.

Hole 18. If the basket is in the long position I play it as a par 4 just based on length and precision needed to make a three. But for tournament purposes I counted it as a 3. I just throw these numbers out. I know I need to place my shots in the open areas with some big d in order to score well.

For me it was nice to see the trends from birdes to pars and see where I could potentially pick up a stroke or two. I have begun to visualize where my shots need to be in order for those to happen.

I urge you to use a little sabermetrics in your own golf game. You may learn a few surprising things.

Until next time.

MRK # 52117

No comments: