Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Boss in Town

Back when I began playing disc golf, I heard tales of distance throwing competitions.  These meetings of the juggernauts produced figures that were staggering to my imagination.  These gentlemen were throwing these plates of plastic over two football fields.  Mind = blown.  In fact, the new distance record had just been set it Sweden (or some foreign place).  The distance?  250m or 820 ft.  Word had it that the record had been set with an Innova DX Valkyrie.  I immediately made that my must-purchase... and proceeded to make a fool out of myself with it.  I didn't have a true concept of what it takes to put it out there great distances.  I still don't.  I may be able to impress some of the locals, but no one would ever confuse me with a big arm.

You know who does have a big arm, though?  This guy!  His name is David Wiggins, Jr., a newer pro out of North Carolina.  He is the new world's distance champ, and (oh yeah) he's only 16 years old!  The record-setting throw of 255m (836 ft) took place in Primm, NV with the brand-spankin' new Blizzard Boss from Innova.  The new plastic allows for much lighter weights, while still maintaining a recognizable stability.  My assumption is that the record won't be held for ten years as the previous mark had.  As throwers become accustomed to the new discs, I see many others making runs at the Big D crown.

At least I hope so.

A 16 year old holds it now.

How d'ya feel about your "Big D" now, eh noodle arm?

Seems I need to find a field.

~Diggs

No comments: