Sunday, April 01, 2007

An Example of Tolerance

I own Innova disc golf discs. ...And that's about it. I once found a Lightning. I gave it away. I have had two DISCraft discs in my tenure. Neither of these came at any monetary cost to me. I used them for high risk shots, ensuring that if I did indeed lose a disc, they would be throw aways. It worked. I now own no non-Innova discs. As far as I was concerned, they were the Vanguard, the I Ching, and any other term of endearment one would wish to lavish upon upon a beloved one.

This was not completely unfounded. I had never found another disc I could really get into. I disliked the feel of the DISCrafts and the Lightning was so beat to a bloody pulp that one could hardly call its flight path reminiscent of anything disc-like. It was more like a blob of matter awkwardly morphing through the air. So, forsaking all others, I adhered myself in holy matrimony to the only one who could satisfy my visceral desires.

More recently, however, I have had a change of heart. Disc golf, as in life, has witnessed the passions of youth give way to the wisdom of experience. My aforementioned hesitation to anything without that Innova stamp of approval is now faded into obscurity. To be sure, such passions cannot be "unlearned" and will undoubtably resurface when my guard is down, but I am much more ecumenical. My favorite disc will undoubtably forever be an Innova, but I'll consider others. So, the news of the King's new addition of the Buzz-d is not a source of anxiety, but it is also not a source of elation. I am simply neutral. If the Discraft improves his game, I am happy for him.

Hopefully this adultery does not result in chagrin for those who have heard my "sermons" lauding the graces of Innova. I promise this is not unfaithfulness.

For the record, the next disc on the purchasing list is a Discraft Predator.


Keep your feet on the ground
and keep reaching for the stars

~Diggs


Song of the Week: "Hang Me Up to Dry" by the Cold War Kids

No comments: