Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Spring Break Disappointment

Coming into spring break, I was very excited to get out on the home course and disc it up. The week prior to break had given two feet of snow on top of the mess of melting snow and mud that was already hindering our golf game. And arriving in Sioux City, I was greated with a beautifully snow-free surrounding. My excitement was short-lived, however, as a day or two into break, the skies opened up and delivered the precipitous diarrhea that had plagued me for the duration of the semester. Now, instead of a week free to enjoy my break with my preferred pasttime, I instead spent my time clearing my car of the aforementioned white poop, along with the entirety of my parent's driveway.

Men have been driven to alcoholism by less.

By about Wednesday or Thursday, I became incredibly frustrated. I needed to throw something... and throw it as far as I could. Thankfully, Pappy "the Mid Range King" was about as frustrated as I was.

Now, I don't recommend disc golfing when you have to clear off every tee box of about a foot of snow. Please believe me when I tell you that no amount of labor can rid the cement pad of that small section of ice that was predetermined to be there before the creation of the world in order to completely and ultimately frustrate your throw. You will slip, giving on-lookers the impression that you have the coordination of Superman (post-equestrian days) and sending your disc on an adventurous rollercoaster ride that ends anywhere but near the hole. In other words, the experience is not what I call optimal. Yet, performance difficulties aside, to simply get back on the course (and my home course at that) made me ecstatic. Pappy took a sweet pic or two that he may post at some point. We can only hope he will do so.

The moral of the story is: Don't play on snow unless doing so would prevent you from being driven to drinking.

The upside to the story is: The snow is finally clearing out and the tournaments will be starting soon.

Let the games begin!

Keep on Truckin'
~Diggs

No comments: