Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Disc Golf Playlist

Have you ever been out playing a round and you happen to stumble upon a player who is playing by himself...or herself? What is one thing you notice? If you answered that question out loud you might have said, they have no friends, or a job, or maybe they are just practicing. But have you looked closer to see if they are just listening to music on some sort of portable device. If you answered any of those questions you might have just describe my disc golf experience for the last few years. I do have friends but they have moved away for one reason or another. I know this is against the culture the PDGA is trying to promote but I'm uncomfortable sometimes playing with people I don't know. So I have found myself avoiding  the awkward question "Do you wanna throw with us?" I really avoid it like the plague.  But I should say just so people don't think I'm a jerk. If someone asks, if I wanna play with them and they pass the (we are not gonna smoke illegal substances) test. I usually say yes.

 But when those situations are not in play I tend to play most rounds in the comfort of my own thoughts and go to musical playlist. I thought I would share it with the community.  You can use it, laugh at it, or try a list of your own but it really helps me focus. Now I have to say I'm not one of those guys who has it blaring so everyone knows what I'm listening to. I do also like to be able to hear what's going on around me on the course and in nature so the volume is just a background/elevator style filler.

MRK's Disc Golf Playlist
1. Sound of Melodies - Leeland
2. True Love -Phil Wickham
3. Young Blood - The Naked and Famous (an iTunes free single, I heard it and liked it)
4. My Spirit Will Go On - Dragonforce
5. Right Now - Akon
6. Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
7. Broken Wings - Alter Bridge
8. Set The World On Fire - Britt Nicole
9. Holy Is The Lord - Chris Tomlin
10. Firework - Katy Perry
11. Every Man - Casting Crowns
12. We Are Hungry - Circadian Rhythm
13. My Sacrifice - Creed
14. The Face of Love - Sanctus Real
15. Hey Wait - Sanctus Real
16. Everything Glorious - David Crowder Band
17. You And Me - Lifehouse
18. Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
19. Tattoo - Jordin Sparks
20. 8th World Wonder - Kimberley Locke
21. Boy On A String - Jars of Clay
22. This Is Your Life - Switchfoot
23. Say It Loud - Sanctus Real
24. I Dare You To Move - Switchfoot
25. Hurt - Thousand Foot Krutch
26. Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse

Now this playlist had it's inspiration from the Acorn Park Course in Roseville, MN. You start out with a couple of slower songs to keep your emotions in check with the water that comes into play on the first hole and the aggressive line you can take on the second hole. By the time Dragonforce and Akon hit I would be around holes 4,5, or 6 which tend to be holes where you have decent shots at some birds. Then as the list goes on the mood becomes more of a redemptive/ reflective type of theme. Usually it works out great cause by then I will have thrown some crappy shots and feeling kinda down and need to focus on something other than my score.

So that's my list take it an run or create one of your own to share I'm always looking for new music to add to my list.

** You may be wondering why my list is 26 songs long and thinking most courses are 9-18 holes long. Well, in MN there are a few courses I play that are either 27 holes long or super busy and either way I get through the list pretty regularly.

2 comments:

Diggs said...

I like it! Never used media devices during a round. I fear I would feel off balance. But I like the idea of having a music list that flows with the round. Good stuff.

Mid Range King said...

I got the idea from watching Wisconsin's own...Barry Schultz. I totally hear ya on the distraction piece of the equation.